In 1297-98 the Mamluk Sultan Husam Al-Deen Lajin undertook massive fortification works in Shobak, constructing towers and ramparts in defense of the north area of the citadel, where the Palace was located.
This passageway, placed between the inner and the outer castle walls, provided access to a series of small towers, built during Crusader and Ayyubid periods and later incorporated into a single bastion.
The powerful external masonry in large drafted-margin ashlars was probably built by masters sent from Cairo, where Al-Lajin resided.
Last update
19.06.2024